JEFA WP300 CABLE STEERING PEDESTAL
With the 300 series pedestal Jefa Steering introduces a new style integrated* pedestal design. All major functions for the modern helmsman are integrated in one central steering and control centre: The integrated engine control offers easy installation and quick access. The integrated compass offers easy and clear readings without the need of a separate binnacle. The 25 mm diameter stainless steel 316 guardrail is firmly attached to the pedestal head offering the best protection for the compass and pedestal combined with a strong support when moving around in the cockpit. The large glass fibre pedestal head accepts multiple instruments and control buttons. The integrated powerful and progressive friction brake can be operated without putting one’s hand through the wheel.
The 300 series pedestal concept has big advantages over existing similar concepts:
- The robust powder coated aluminium base has no mounting holes for pedestal bolts as these are integrated in the pedestal deck flange. This avoids multiple weak points for damage with the accompanying corrosion and possible leaking.
- The input socket has a large water draining groove behind the cover plate to prevent any water entering the pedestal.
- The pedestal head largely overhangs the aluminium base to prevent any splash water entering the pedestal from underneath the head.
- The pedestal head is strongly attached to the aluminium base by resting on a horizontal flange and clamped by a counter flange.
- The engine control mechanism is not attached to the pedestal head but to the pedestal base. This offers the unique advantage of mounting the complete mechanism to the pedestal and the attachment of the control cables independently from the pedestal head.
- The pedestal head can be worked on separately in the workshop to be adapted to the customer requirements with instruments, buttons and joysticks. This concept also eases the retrofit of a mechanism, or a swap from starboard to port.
- The robust guardrail has a four point connection to the pedestal head, spreading the loads smoothly over the pedestal head.
- The guardrail is attached to the back of the pedestal leaving the top surfaces completely usable for instruments, buttons or joysticks.
- The underside of the pedestal deck flange has two large milled grooves where sealant can be applied to achieve a good sealing to the deck.
- The steering shaft is sealed by the Jefa developed PUR seal. Normal industry seals use steel reinforcement rings in the rubber housing. As the standard industry rubber will start to crack due to the UV in the sunlight, the steel rings will corrode and destroy the seal letting water in the steering shaft bearings with disastrous effects.
The 300 series pedestal is available as WP300 for wire steering, as RP300 for rack and pinion steering, as H300 for hydraulic steering and as TS300 for transmission steering and all pedestals are CE approved.
Jefa 300 series steering pedestal variations
- Jefa has a wide range of steering wheels which fit on all our pedestals and steerers
- The pedestal can be fitted with Olympic 135 and Horizon 135 compasses from Plastimo.
- With a forward bend extended guardrail (called kick-back guardrail) it is possible to mount an instrument pod for the mounting of instruments, buttons and joysticks.
- We have for 300 series pedestal the possibility for a top mounted guardrail.
- Jefa teak cockpit table is 300 mm wide and 700 mm long when folded in, and 600 mm wide and 700 mm long when folded out which can be fitted to the pedestal.
- The pedestal can also be fitted with an engine control mechanism. It’s advisable to order the mechanism directly with the pedestal to insure the correct fitting possition in the pedestal head. It’s possible to retrofit the mechanism. The housing is watertight against splash and rain water. The mechanism bracket is only available including the engine control mechanism as some modifications on the original mechanism have to be made to ensure a correct fit. A stainless steel 316 mechanism handle is included in this option.
The following illustrations show the most common combinations.
Jefa WP300 cable steering pedestals
The WP300 is the cable steering version of the 300 series pedestal. The 25 mm steering shaft is equipped with the standard international 1″ taper to fit all Jefa wheels up to 1500 mm diameter. The steering shaft has 2 ball bearings at the front of the pedestal and one ball bearing at the aft side of the pedestal.
The pedestal can be equipped with multiple sprockets to match the turns starboard to port as specified. Please look at the table for choosing the the sprocket size in relation to the quadrant radius.
The WP300 pedestal can be used for open wire systems with our cross wire and parallel wire idlers. These idlers have large base plates for a a firm clamping of the deck between the deck flange of the pedestal and the base plate. The idlers are mounted with pedestal mounting studs, so no additional mounting bolts are necessary.
The WP300 pedestal can be used for conduit cable systems by fitting the WP300 conduit plate underneath the pedestal.
Jefa WP300 cable steering pedestal dimensions
- The standard heights of the pedestal are 630, 710 and 800 mm. Custom heights are available at request.
- The compass mounting flange should not exceed 180 mm diameter.
- The appropriate compass hole will be drilled when the compass is ordered together with the pedestal.
- The pedestal mounting studs are available in multiple lengths to suit the cockpit floor thickness. The mounting studs are positioned
- on a square of 220 by 180 mm.
- The cable offset relative to the middle of the pedestal is 24 mm.
Jefa WP300 pedestal pricing
|Article||Compact Strand - Dyform Wire||DBS||Thread||Ø Pin||W||X||Y||Z||T||Lmin - Lmax||Weight||Break Load|
|19400306||3||1/8"||6.4||1/4"||6.3||14||7||7.5||13.5||3||146 - 194||0.11||1200|
|19400611||6||-||12.6||7/16"||11||24||12.5||12.5||24||5||237 - 307||0.4||4535|
|19400712||7||9/32"||14.3||1/2"||12.7||27||14.4||14||25||5||259 - 339||0.59||5650|
|19430816||8||5/16"||16.1||5/8"||12.7||29||17||15||32||6||318 - 425||1||8457|
|19400816||8||5/16"||16.1||5/8"||15.9||33||17||17.5||35||6||321 - 428||1.12||8457|